The Lur Lab (http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/lurlab/research/) at UC Irvine (CA, USA) is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to study the cellular and circuit mechanisms of stress-induced cognitive impairment.
The group combines state of the art optical techniques (including optogenetics, multi-photon imaging, fiber photometry, whole brain light sheet imaging) with electrophysiological recordings to interrogate neural circuits. Our primary goal is to bridge the gap between molecular, cellular and systems level exploration of the brain and apply this new perspective to understand how environmental challenges affect cognitive performance.
UC Irvine is a world-class research university with highly ranked research programs in neuroscience and biological sciences. Lab members enjoy direct access to an outstanding community of neuroscientists and clinicians as well as the wide range of recreational activities available in Southern California.
Our group provides the perfect opportunity to build on your previous expertise and add new skills to your existing set. The PI offers mentoring with experiences in both European and US research environments.
Profile and requirements
- The applicant should have a PhD in neuroscience, biophysics or related field.
- The applicant should be able to demonstrate postdoc level independence as well as an ability to work as part of a team
- Fluency English is a must, including writing skills
- Experience with in vitro / in vivo patch-clamp recordings, two-photon calcium imaging, rodent behavior, optogenetics is a plus.
- Modeling and good programming skills are desirable
- Send application (motivation letter), CV and contact information of at least 2 references to glur [at] uci.edu
- Challenges on the cutting edge of neuroscience
- Highly collaborative environment
- Mentoring to hone grant writing skills
- Start date: summer 2018 onwards
- Full time postdoc position with competitive compensation package in line with NIH and UC guidelines
- UCI is an equal opportunity employer, applicants of all backgrounds are welcome, women are encouraged to apply.
Batista-Brito R, Vinck M, Ferguson KA, Chang JT, Laubender D, Lur G, Mossner JM, Hernandez VG, Ramakrishnan C, Deisseroth K, Higley MJ, Cardin JA., Developmental Dysfunction of VIP Interneurons Impairs Cortical Circuits. Neuron. 2017 Aug 16;95(4):884-895.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2017.07.034. PMID: 28817803
Lur G, Vinck MA, Tang L, Cardin JA, Higley MJ., Projection-Specific Visual Feature Encoding by Layer 5 Cortical Subnetworks. Cell Rep. 2016 Mar 22;14(11):2538-45. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.02.050. Epub 2016 Mar 10. PMID: 26972011
Lur G, Higley MJ., Glutamate Receptor Modulation Is Restricted to Synaptic Microdomains. Cell Rep. 2015 Jul 14;12(2):326-34. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2015.06.029. Epub 2015 Jul 2. PMID: 26146087
Chiu CQ*, Lur G*, Morse TM, Carnevale NT, Ellis-Davies GC, Higley MJ. (2013) Compartmentalization of GABAergic inhibition by dendritic spines. Science. 2013 May 10;340(6133):759-62. PMCID: PMC 3752161